"We saw smoke from downtown and as we got closer to downtown we realized it was this block," said Cotton.
Once the couple realized that their house was on fire, Cotton says he only had one feeling.
"Just panic definitely, our dog Frankie was inside and we were worried about him he's a pug and they have breathing issues and with the smoke inhalation but he was fine," said Cotton.
Cotton's neighbors were not as fortunate as they lost their dog in the three house fire.
Although the fire has come and gone the families are still left with picking up the pieces.
"It's condemned so I don't know really Know-Some stuff is salvageable-The front room is fine but the rest of it is completely trashed," said Cotton.
Cotton tells me that he has a good relationship with the other two homeowners affected by the fire--and has no hard feelings towards his neighbors.
"It wasn't anybody's fault I mean I don't think anybody knows how it started but I'm sure it wasn't anybody's fault and if it was I'm sure they didn't intend for this to happen," said Cotton.
While Cotton and his girlfriend don't know their next steps they are trying to find the positive in the situation.
"My families air looms and artwork was in there a lot of that is ok so that's great because I thought I was going to loose all that, said Cotton.
While the fire is still under investigation, one person who was in the area last night shares his account of the fire.
"I was out here working on my car and me my dad and wife heard popping sounded like fireworks-we turned around and the third house in on Sturgis backyard was engulfed in flames," said David Chester.
As cotton and his girlfriend plan their next move--they told me that they are thankful that the firefighters were able to salvage as much as they did.